Pear & Almond Upside Down Cake
Anything you bake in your oven can be done on the Ziggy! Whip up this delicious cake and you'll be the star baker at your next BBQ...You can easily replace the pears with Apples or stone fruit when in season.
Preparation time: 45
Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
180g brown sugar
100g unsalted butter, melted
170g unsalted butter, softened
4 ripe pears - peeled, cored and sliced thinly
300g caster sugar
250g plain flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
80g almond meal
Thick cream, to serve
1. Set up your BBQ for indirect cooking. This means the burners directly under the cake tin are switched off. Place an elevated rack on the side of the grill where the cake will go. Pre-heat the BBQ to 180 degrees with the hood closed.
2. Grease and line base of a 26cm cake pan with baking paper. Sprinkle brown sugar over base. Pour the melted butter over the brown brown sugar. Top with overlapping pear slices.
3. Place the remaining softened butter and caster sugar in bowl of electric mixer, beat for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Sift together flour, baking powder and spices, fold into egg mixture with almond meal.
6. Stir in buttermilk, then mix to form a smooth batter. Carefully spread over pears.
7. Place on top of the elevated rack in the BBQ and cook for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Adjust the burner/burners depending on your BBQ model to maintain the temperature at 180 degrees.
8. Cover loosely with foil if cake begins to brown too quickly. Remove and cool for 30 minutes. Run a knife around sides of pan and carefully invert onto a plate.
9. Serve with a dollop of thick cream