Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1 tablespoon oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 shallots, chopped
2 teaspoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
600 g (1 lb. 5 oz.) free-range chicken mince
120 g (4¼ oz.) shiitake mushrooms, chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce, plus more to serve
1 tablespoon honey (optional)
1 x 225 g (8 oz.) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
4 spring onions, finely chopped
1 fresh red long chillies, deseeded and chopped (optional)
100 g (3½ oz.) bean sprouts
1 small carrot, chopped or grated
8 iceberg lettuce leaves, washed and dried
Fresh coriander leaves, torn, to serve
Lime wedges, to serve
1. Set up the Ziggy with the optional trivet accessory.
2. Heat a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the oil and swirl around the wok.
3. Add the garlic, shallots, and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the chicken and mushrooms and cook for a further 4 – 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked through and browned.
5. Add the soy sauce , fish sauce, and honey, if using, and toss to mix.
6. Next, add the water chestnuts, spring onions, carrot and chillies, if using, and keep stirring until the mixture is well combined.
7. Cook until heated through (2 – 3 minutes).
8. Remove from the heat, mix in the bean sprouts, and check for seasoning, adding more fish sauce or sea salt if needed.
9. To serve, place the lettuce cups on a large communal serving platter or four plates. Top each plate with some of the chicken mixture, and garnish with coriander leaves and lime wedges.