Serves: 4 – 6
Preparation time: 30 minutes (plus 12 hours marinating)
Cooking time: 15 minutes (plus 5 minutes resting time)
1kg boneless chicken thighs, with skin
1 red onion, chopped
3 spring onions, chopped
6 large cloves garlic, minced
4 fresh habanero chilies, seeded
60ml freshly squeezed lime juice
3 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 bay leaves
1. Combine the red onion, spring onions, garlic, habaneros, lime juice, oil, white wine vinegar, honey, thyme, paprika, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, 2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper, and 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt in a food processor. Process to form a smooth paste.
2. Transfer to a large shallow dish, add the bay leaves and chicken, and turn to coat the chicken. Cover and refrigerate overnight for best results.
3. Bring the chicken to room temperature before cooking.
4. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
5. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on the grill.
6. Grill, turning and basting occasionally with the marinade for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
7. Cover with foil and allow it to rest for 5 minutes.
8. To serve, arrange the chicken on a platter with the lime wedges and sprinkle over some coriander and mint leaves.