Preparation time: 20 minutes (plus 1 hour – overnight marinating)
Cooking time: 30 minutes
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 teaspoons honey (optional)
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice
12 chicken wings
1 small handful of mixed Thai basil leaves, coriander leaves and Vietnamese mint leaves
Fried shallots and chillies
250 ml (1 cup) oil
4 French shallots, finely sliced
2 long red chillies, thinly sliced
1. To make the marinade, combine the soy sauce, oil, fish sauce, honey (if using), garlic, spring onion, chilli flakes and Chinese five spice in a large bowl
and whisk well.
2. Add the chicken wings to the marinade and turn until the chicken is well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or ideally overnight.
3. Set up the BBQ for indirect cooking an preheat to 200°C.
4. Transfer the wings to a baking tray, spread out in an even layer, then roast, turning occasionally, for 25–30 minutes until the chicken is golden and cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, to make the fried shallots, melt the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 2–3 minutes until golden. Remove the
shallots with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
6. To make the fried chillies, add the sliced chilli to the same oil and cook for a few minutes, or until the chilli starts to turn a light golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and
drain on paper towel.
7. Arrange the chicken wings on a serving platter and sprinkle with the Asian herbs and as many fried shallots and chillies as desired.