80 ml soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons honey
2 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely grated garlic
500 g boneless and skinless chicken thighs, cut into cubes
6 green onions, chopped into 4 cm lengths
18 shiitake mushrooms
Toasted sesame seeds, to serve
1. Soak 8 bamboo skewers in a shallow dish of cold water for at least 30 minutes, then drain.
2. Place the soy sauce, ginger, sugar, honey, and garlic in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to the boil, stir to combine, then remove from the heat and cool completely.
3. Pour the cooled marinade over the chicken, toss to combine and set aside to marinate for 1 hour or overnight in the fridge.
4. Thread 3 – 4 pieces of chicken, the shiitake mushrooms and green onions alternately onto a skewer. Continue with the remaining chicken and vegetables.
5. Preheat the barbeque or grill plate on high. Grill the skewered chicken, basting it with the marinade until the chicken is cooked through.
6. Place the marinade in a saucepan and bring to the boil, then simmer for 2 – 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and transfer to a small serving bowl.
7. To serve, drizzle the chicken skewers with the sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds